Mold invades homes,
risks owners' health
Published in the Asbury Park Press 07/14/05
I am writing in response to the June 25 article "Report:
Mold not a risk to police" about the mold problems plaguing
the Island Heights Police Department building.
Mold is very prevalent in Ocean County. I moved
here in 2002 and began having recurrent upper respiratory
infections, sinusitis and ear infections. Last fall, a specialist
suggested there might be something in my home that was making
Aspergillus mold was found in my wall-to-wall
carpeting, and everything that touched that carpet was covered
with this dangerous mold, which was causing my illness. After
the extent of the spore count was assessed, the house had
to be decontaminated. Carpeting was replaced by laminated
flooring, and all furnishings and walls had to be washed down.
I slowly regained strength and resumed my daily
tasks without dizziness and weakness.
Mold causes sickness and should be addressed
as an environmental hazard. People who have recurrent respiratory
illness may well have unrealized mold in their homes or workplace.
Most insurance companies provide coverage for
mold, but only consider mold coming from existing leaks. They
must realize many of us have purchased homes built on cement
slabs. The slabs are conductors of moisture, which is excessive
in this area and through time leads to contamination of carpeting.
The spores from the source permeate the air and are inhaled
by those living or working there.